Our first stop in Malaysia was Penang, Leila’s uncle lives here and we stayed for around ten days enjoying the Chinese New Year celebrations. It’s a great Province and there is loads to do from walks in the national parks to amazing arty shops and cafe’s in George Town. We got to explore most of the island but didn’t get ourselves up Penang Hill due to it being so packed because of Chinese New Year. We got to sample great food, enjoyed Entopia the butterfly house and had a couple of walks around George Town. We stayed the whole time with Leila’s uncle but we have heard that ‘Tipsy Tiger Hostel’ is meant to be really good. Heres our top places and a few tips for Penang.
5 Top Things to do in Penang
- Entopia – Butterfly park in Batu Ferringhi – you can get the hop on hop off bus here, the 101 local bus from George Town or order a ‘Grab’.
- Street Art in George Town– Get yourself a map from a coffee shop or hotel and get lost in George Town finding all the hidden art work gems.
- Upside Down Museum – Located in eGeorge Town it costs around 27RM but is so much fun!
- aPenang hill– Get a ‘Grab’ to the station and get the cable car up to enjoy the views.
- Kek Lok Si – Get a ‘Grab’ up to the top or get the cable car from the bottom of the hill, on Chinese New Year its full of lights in the evening.
Our Top 5 Places to Eat in Penang
- Gustos Cafe – Tanjung Bungah – Great western or healthy breakfast.
- Chowrasta Market – George Town – Great place to sample traditional Malay food.
- Suffolk House – George Town – Great for afternoon tea but bit pricey.
- Long Beach – Batu Ferringhi – Lots of different stalls under one roof from Indian, Malay, Chinese and even Kebab!
- China House – George Town – Amazing food and cakes they even have a cocktail bar and live bands in the evening.
Our Tips for Penang
- Stay in George Town – Theres loads to do and eat. It’s also very easy to access other places from here.
- Get local buses – bus drivers speak English and its easy and cheap way to get around.
- Get a ‘Grab’ account – if the buses are too much effort grab is easy, quick and really cheap!
- If your missing England there’s a Nando’s in the ‘Gurney Plaza’ Mall.
- If you want some fun on a Monday night Leila’s uncle runs a quiz at ‘Healy Macs’ in ’Strait Quays Mall’ it starts at 8:30!